Protect Your Online Reputation in 5 Simple Steps
We’ve all seen how fast word travels today, and nowhere is that more important to your small business than in the world of your online reputation. What took you several years to build can be ruined in seconds. In case you’re not up to speed on why exactly your online reputation matters so much, let’s look at a few statistics. Cone Communications has found that a full 89 percent of consumers view online channels as trustworthy sources, and that 80 percent have actually changed their decision about purchasing after taking a look at a negative review. Not only that, but your own social media accounts is where the action is! The Society for Communications Research tells us that another 72 percent report researching companies through their social channels prior to making purchasing decisions, and 59% use these same social sites to let the world know about their frustrations about you and your customer service.
5 Quick Ways to protect your online reputation
- Check your online reputation regularly – Google yourself and your company name at the very least once per month. Create Google alerts to notify you when there are any mentions of your names or brand. Easy, free and necessary.
- Claim online real estate – If you don’t own your company’s domain name, or your personal one, make an effort to get this done. A lot of damage can be carried out in your name otherwise.
- Be active on your social networks – Beyond claiming your presence on the major social sites, also strive to use them regularly. Being involved can help you see and minimize potential problems easily.
- Deal with negative content ASAP – Deal with negative postings and particularly complaints without delay. Do your very best to get hold of the person directly, preferably offline. Attempt to handle their issues, and whatever you do, don’t enter into a shouting match online.
- Be very careful what you put online – Those lovely pictures of you and the staff partying hard are not exactly what you want to surface in a business context.
We live in a fast-paced, information driven world. Be sure you’re on top of it to properly manage your online reputation!
Latest posts by Mike (see all)
- Reputation Management Tips for Local Business - November 22, 2015
- How Video Marketing Can Help You Build and Sell Your Brand - November 22, 2015
- Why Reputation Marketing Should Be Your Business’ Marketing Priority - August 12, 2015