Anyone Know the Right Way to Use #Hashtags?
Know what a #Hashtag is? If you’re not a social media maven, and especially Twitter, you might not have a clue what a #hashtag is. No need for that being the case any longer. A hashtag is a # followed by a word or phrase to perform a number of functions. Twitter users attach hashtags to tweets as search conventions, a method of categorizing, and marketing tactics. #Hashtags can also be used in other social media platforms.
Some #Hashtags basic guidelines
Make sure the keyword you are using is not in use elsewhere, or you may be in for a major surprise. This requires doing a little research (a search on Search.Twitter.com) to find out if that keyword will be a wise decision. Also, don’t use misleading #hashtags, even with seriously trending keywords. This will most certainly not work in your favor. And above all, proofread before you create that #hashtag, lest you become a victim of your own hashtag.
4 Ways to win with #hashtags
- Make your #hashtags short and direct – Making it brief and direct is the best approach to win with #hashtags. If you wish to combine more than one, fine, but be sure not to string together a small army of them, as that will actually annoy your readers and label you an amateur.
- Make them #hashtags to remember – Remarkable #hashtags are much more likely to be shared widely. Give consideration to this and you just may get your wish and have it go viral.
- Use them on multiple social media channels – A #hashtag isn’t much use if it’s not shared. Although started on Twitter, #hashtags have become employed across multiple social media channels including Facebook, Google , LinkedIn and Pinterest. This can help to instill the #hashtag into the minds of their audience.
- Make use of keywords – When possible, work in your brand or major keywords. It is not always feasible, so choose judiciously.
Creating and employing memorable #hashtags can keep your brand and conversation before your social media audience, and help perpetuate your campaigns. Give it a try today!
Latest posts by Mike (see all)
- Reputation Management Tips for Local Business - November 22, 2015
- How Video Marketing Can Help You Build and Sell Your Brand - November 22, 2015
- Why Reputation Marketing Should Be Your Business’ Marketing Priority - August 12, 2015