Do something about the rate (bounce rate) visitors leave your site
In a day when most visitors leave your website within 10-12 seconds, it’s vital for us to make sure that we’re not doing anything that would encourage that sort of bad behavior. Many times it could be things beyond our control. Other times, there are definite no-no’s that spring up that cause your hard-earned visitors to flee.
Let’s take a look at 5 ways that happens, and what can be done about it.
5 Reasons visitors may depart within seconds of arriving (bounce rate)
- Your content isn’t all that – Old, stale boring content is a guaranteed way to send them packing. You must update your site with fresh content that speaks to your visitor’s interests and needs every now and then. Moreover, Google will likely pay a lot more attention to you if that’s the case.
- Your site loads slowly – Website speed is a definite buzz-killer. Studies show that if your page isn’t loaded within 3 seconds they are outa there. Keep this in mind when you decide to put 27 large format pictures of your summer vacation on your home page.
- Don’t use autoplay – We’re all for the use of videos and audios on your site, but when this media starts in on arrival, it will likely cause a lost visitor. The exception of course is a video salespage, but for all other pages, let them click it. You never know; they could be sitting in church when your intro music chimes in.
- Don’t use gateway pages – Unless you’re already a top dog, or people are just dying to see what you’ve got behind the curtain, this is almost always a fail.
- Don’t kill them with ads – Hopefully most of us have gotten over this one by now, but the temptation to put another ad in front of your audience ought to be resisted and saved for the right time, right place. Use some discretion, and be a bit wiser than the next guy. After all, we’ve likely seen this before.
There are plenty of reasons why people will want to leave. Let’s concentrate on eliminating these and then work on offering them reason to stay. Lear more about bounce rate by contacting us today.
- Reputation Management Tips for Local Business - November 22, 2015
- How Video Marketing Can Help You Build and Sell Your Brand - November 22, 2015
- Why Reputation Marketing Should Be Your Business’ Marketing Priority - August 12, 2015